Saturday, June 6, 2009

On the edge

Just when you think the scenery can't get better, it does.
Posted by Picasa
Today we hit the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Bright Angel Point is windy and cold and drop dead scary gorgeous. I shuffled along holding on to the guardrail, while teens in flipflops crawled out on the ledge to snap Titanic pose photos.

I was huffing and puffing my way back to the lodge when my cell phone rang. I could not believe there was cell service out there in nowhere Arizona. But there was, and it was my buddy Mary telling me all about meditation for the week. What serendipity. I don't even know why I had the phone in my pocket. Hearing from home keeps me grounded, reminds me how incredibly lucky I am.

The lodge is one of those grand national park lodges, with windows framing views of the canyon, soft suck you up leather sofas, and a grand dining room with timber beams and more windows.

Daisy got a walk on the bridle trail, where she chased her share of small rodents. Then we took a drive up to Point Imperial, where the wind was wilder and the view more breathtaking. That put us at a full day, so we returned to our little Kaneb home, parking on the white rocks between two islands of red rocks. I backed Teregram in on a dime, just perfectly, not moving a single pebble into the wrong color.

No comments: