Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Capitol Reef Social Scene


I've been to Capitol Reef before and loved it, so I said to myself, just relax and enjoy it. Don't go photo crazy. And what a day we had there.

The dirt road through Capitol Gorge is a bit tight for an RV, although I did make it last year. So I asked Carl if he'd like to bicycle it instead. Oh yea, good plan. hmmmm...... It was downhill going in, and the road was really too bumpy for our tires, so we concentrated on braking and avoiding the rocks. If there were no rocks, that was because sand drifts across the road covered them, and our tires sank in so that we had to get off and walk. I kept my eye on my tires all the way in, never looking up at the great canyon walls.

On the way out, not only was it bumpy, it was uphill and the canyon winds were blowing. It would have been easier to just walk in and out. At least I would not have been pushing my bike and I would have looked up. I got really dizzy at one point from the altitude and had to have a little rest.

Back at the campground, I felt fine and happy again. We met a couple, Bob and Kay, who had a twin Navion. They invited us to wine at 5 pm, and we compared notes on where things got stored (me and Kay) and improvements made to the RV (Bob and Carl). As a result we have ordered a step into the cab and more mirrors. Maybe new suspension when we get home. They are going to order swivels for the seats.

Daisy got kidnapped by a family from Lehi who were missing their now gone Sammy. She has a report to make about that on her blog.

Then, serendipity, we had company. Good friend from South Dakota Steve Babbitt (see link to his photos on the right) was in Capitol Reef this week. We had him, his son and two photographer buddies over for dinner. Lots of brats and beer and corn and great relaxed conversation. We had full intentions of going to the ranger talk, since she asked us so nicely, but the company was too good to part with.


Combine all this social life with the great little farm house selling fresh bread, pies and cherries, and it was a perfect spot.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: