Thursday, May 27, 2010

To Marguerite

Not only does she live where George Washington once farmed on the banks of the Potomac, this lady, my cousin once removed, is descended from seven men who signed the Mayflower compact. Yep, John Alden and Myles Standish included, and an adventurous fellow named Hopkins who reached Jamestown by way of a shipwreck in Bermuda, returned to England and then came back again to Plymouth, where he apparently liked it better and stayed.  No wonder Marguerite is so spunky!  She has determined genes.

If it weren't for Marguerite, I would not know about my 17th century roots. She has earned a lifetime achievement award, awarded by me today, for researching and preserving our family genealogy for the generations to come.

Spunky, vivacious, gracious, engaging,  interesting....and still playing doubles at 82. I wish I had inherited her knees!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really love the way you write. Your narrative is smooth, comfortable and interesting. I don't see this much when we are playing bridge.

It looks as if you are having a great time, steeped in history. Did you make the shuttle launch?


Andy Solomon

PS Take lots of pictures!