Monday, May 30, 2011

I love Western North Carolina


If the Natchez Trace is a massage, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a hot stone massage. I think I could travel it every day of my life and not tire of the misty blue vistas, even though our first day on it was pretty foggy.

As a reward for some good deed I did in my past, I am seeing the first of the rhododendrons blooming. They are not full yet; two more weeks till peak time, the ranger said. But the mountain laurel is making up for it.



In fact, everything about North Carolina feels like a hot stone massage. Even in their heat wave, it’s cool in the shade. And there’s lots of shade to hide in, in the NC Arboretum or the natural Botanical Gardens. Want art? It’s everywhere. The Grovewood Gallery is primo. With an urban revival and restaurants hopping with happy sidewalk diners, downtown is very upbeat.

We shopped two Farmer’s Markets for fresh produce and the entire town seemed to be there, intent on eating food grown close to home. I don’t think I have ever eaten fresh garlic before, but it has been quite a treat.

Can’t find anything to dislike here, although I would have to become accustomed to walking the hills if I stayed longer. We stayed again at Mama Gerties, probably the cleanest campground I have ever experienced, but walking Daisy was a cardio workout. The campground is stacked up a steep hill.  But then so is the Grove Inn. Even at 4 stars you gotta walk uphill.

I like a town that’s big enough to have amenities, but small enough that I can get my arms around it. Asheville fits the bill.

Hot Springs, NC, on the other hand, is oversold and under delivered. The Hot Springs Campground is not a spot I would return to. It felt like an army of people had trodden over it, and the evidence was in the clearly visible garbage pile. Restrooms were slightly above fishing camp. The spa itself charged like airlines. $1.99 for water if you are thirsty, extra for a towel. Maybe I had mineral water in my hot tub, maybe I didn’t. I’ll never know. But the minute the guy knocked on the fence to say time is up, he started draining the tub. At least that means I was in clean water, I guess. Thank heaven the massage was good. Still no offer of a drink of water though. Everything was advertised as river view, but the river was mostly blocked by foliage. I’ll take the hot tubs at Truth or Consequences NM any day. Now that’s a river view.

Still, my heart springs eternal that all the towns with the name Springs in them still ahead in my travels will be sweet spots.

No comments: