Sunday, September 14, 2008

This is not so much fun anymore


It's a ghost town. Right now, I only know somebody who knows somebody who has power. That's a long way from me having power. At night, the streets are totally dark. When I look for something in my house, like my glasses, it takes about 30 minutes to find them. Living in the dark is disconcerting.

Carl and I brought Teregram home late yesterday. Several units in her storage facility were damaged by wind, but she was fine. While Carl wandered the neighborhood with a helpful chain saw, I moved the contents of our refrigerator into the RV. Do you know how many jars of pickles you own? I cannot remember the last time I ate a pickle, but I had three jars in the refrigerator. Stuff!

It is incredibly humid. This was, after all, a tropical storm, ergo, this is the tropics. After our trickle baths, which we both needed after the sticky afternoon of limb hauling and chain sawing, we started the generator and cooled the RV off. Then we settled in for a good night's sleep. Until the rain storms came. A good three inches fell in about an hour, pounding the roof of Teregram and making for a second restless night. A cool front entering the area delivered the deluge. Right now, a drizzle makes me nervous.


We talked about it, and we decided to leave town for a couple of days. There is $8 billion in property damage out there, 30 people dead, folks using generators checking into the hospital with CO poisoning, no stores, no power, and a questionable water supply. People are ready to kill each other in the gas station lines. We should leave. Give the city time to sort things out, restore some power, let people get back to their jobs. Mayor Bill asked people to please stay off the roads. He said they didn't need any more people to rescue from last night's floods. But I figured two people headed west on the elevated tollroad would be two less people Mayor Bill needs to provide services for this week.

Hasta la Vista, Houston. Be back later.

PS thank you once again for National Geographic for their photos.

No comments: