Thursday, September 18, 2008

Debbie's night of terror

My friend Debbie is not all that mechanically inclined; household repairs take on new dimensions for her. Buying an appliance is always a long story that needs telling and laughing at. So when I got this account of her storm adventure, I just had to share it. Those of you who know her will howl with delight.

Here's Debbie's story!

Ronnie and I had our bedroom window blow out during the storm, but we managed to save the situation with a big blue plastic tarp we usually put in the back of the van to put coolers on top of. We actually had to hold the thing in place from 3:30 am until 6:00am Sat. morning because the winds and rain were so strong it blew the tarp down. We had to hold it one of us on each side. I am still exhausted.

Yes, it is amazing what you can do when you have to. What's funny is we held that up with our body weight in awkward positions for 2 1/2 hours and it was me saying to Ronnie come on we can do it. Hold on. His arms and legs were so tired at one time he gave up for a few minutes and layed on the bed and I spread my body across the center holding on to both sides as best I could (can you visualize this, my friends of Debbie?)

After several minutes I said please help, come on I can't do it alone. He hopped up and took up his post again. At some points it got almost comical. My cell phone would ring and I would reach with one hand to answer. My mother, Kim and Rachael would call and say are you ok? and I said I am holding a tarp against 85 mile an hour winds and rain, can't talk now. They were so upset. My mother called again an hour later and was giving me tips, like go get two old pictures you don't care about off the wall, angle them at the top of each corner and nail hard and it will hold. She was almost hysterical. I thought she was crying , but she was crying and laughing, and I said I really don't think I can abandon my post and look around the house for paintings and pictures and dig up more nails, since we had used all we had already, so just pray we can hold it for more hours and pray that God would soon stop the winds. All this talk lasted seconds as I would say gotta go, can't talk now.

I love you Debbie! Lunch soon so I can hear this story with the body gestures! Maybe we could invite a few friends from your old audience?

No comments: