Thursday, July 31, 2008

On my own, sort of

 

A few days ago, I dropped Carl at the Seattle airport and Daisy and I began our solo journey. Not that it is very solo, as you can see by the photo taken visiting my friends at their Stanwood area lake house. Julia and I have been friends since she attended ouija board seances in my room freshman year.

For the first 24 hours after Carl left, I felt like an arm or leg was gone. It has been two and 1/2 months since Carl was more than an armlength away. Part of me was missing. I told Julia I was having to de-program myself. Despite the fact that Julia had a bedroom for me at the lake, I felt hesitant to leave the RV. Walking into a house with sofas and showers and beds....strange. Daisy too was confused. So she and I continued to sleep in the RV while at the lake, our little bedroom, parked on a beautiful flat spot up Julia's driveway.

Daisy reprogramed first. Anywhere her long line is, there is home. She had a lovely deck overlooking Lake Ketchum, with a door open to come and go at will. By day two she started eating again, a sure sign of perking up, and adapting to anyone who wanted to walk her, pet her, or talk back to her.

Julia and I had a wonderful visit. She cooked and took care of me.....flank steak a la Jack one night, Salmon on the grill another. One day we took a run into Bellingham for a home tour with a wonderful realtor I have been corresponding with for some time. It is definitely hard to find things to dislike about the community. So many parks and greenspaces, trails to last a lifetime, and in the summer, show stopping 70 degree weather. Mountains in the east, water and the San Juan Islands in the west, Canada just to the north, Seattle 90 miles south. All good things. That night we ate at the Cliff House that Bernd, the realtor, recommended for its whisky crab soup.

Another day we felt compelled to check out the day spa, a new addition to the Stanwood community. Rough duty. Or smooth, as it were, since I got a facial. Two months of washing with the bacterial soap or whatever was near, along with a slug of bug bites, took a toll on my beauty. I was fine till I looked in a mirror. AHHHHH!!!

Now, Daisy and I are south of Seattle, at the entrance to Mt. St. Helens, camped solo, our first real night on our own. The pause is shortlived. Tomorrow I pick up friends in Portland for an Oregon coast trip down to our rafting adventure. Julia and son Jack will join up at camp tomorrow night, and then more friends will group up for the rafting out of Grants Pass. We are getting excited!

I spend several hours converting the RV from just us to making room for guests. Carl took all his clothing and personal items home, and the RV is still full. If only I had not thought so many things were necessary at the outset of the trip~! We will be cozy but comfy. Good thing we like each other!

Daisy is out enjoying the first of many gigantic cowbones that Aunt Julia bought her at the beef store this morning. I may not see her the rest of the trip.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Katy said...

Hey Margaret, where are you? It's nearing the middle of Aug and not a word on your blog.Must be having a great time on your own!!!!!!!!!!
Although I don't comment much I check on you often. My FUN isn't as exciting as yours-work,clean house, work some more.
Love ya, Katy