Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Growing Lungs in the Canadian Rockies

Posted by Picasa

It's easy to make excuses, like, I have been off the bike for a month and then I got sick for a week. Oh, and don't forget, I gave blood 3 weeks ago. But the truth of the matter is I am a flatlander and a shallow breather. An aerobic bike workout for me is at sea level, 45 minutes at 10 mph, and hills are the ramp from the lower path on Braes Bayou back up to the street. I am not ready for elevation = 4500 feet and gentle hills = 6% grade.....OUCH!

After leaving Fort McCloud we stopped at the Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump Interpretive Center, and I knew I was in trouble making the five minute walk up to the cliffs where the Blackfoot and Blood Indians drove the buffalo to slaughter. (Photo above) I was winded by five minutes of walking. By the way, the Buffalo Jump is named for the young brave who got his head smashed in watching the buffalo fall over the cliff. I suppose buffalo with head smashed in was more routine.

We stopped in Canmore, Alberta, just outside Banff, thinking we would ride the little trails through the town and along the river. We stopped in a bike shop, and the eager young man working the cash register said we really must go on to Lake Minnewanka and make the loop around the lake. Nice and easy, very scenic, get to ride on the top of the dam, very little traffic, nice road. A perfect bike ride on a beautiful sunny 65 degree day.

We pulled into the parking area for Cascade Pond at the beginning of Lake Minnewanka Loop and met a woman who looked like Margaret Shelton. She said, "yeah, it's great, about 10 K,just one big hill, but make the loop clockwise and you get to go down it instead of up." Later we realized she had Margaret Shelton stamina too. I was whupped by climbing the hill back up to the road from the parking lot, but I rested a bit, then turned on to the highway. It looked flat, but when I slowed to 5 mph and gasped for air, I knew I was in deep trouble. I might have gone as far as 1 K, but I think less. I turned tail and headed for the flatter trail around Cascade Pond. Two loops and a few doodles and I was off the bike. 30 minutes at 4500 feet was quite enough. I told myself that Daisy needed a walk anyway.

By the time Daisy and I returned from our pond loop walk, Carl was hanging up his bike too. Never trust anyone who works in a bike shop to rate your rides, especially if they are under 30. We drove the loop after we stored the bikes. The big hill was 10% grade and there were people biking up it. My oh My. And it was definitely no little 10 K ride.

We comforted ourselves in the Banff Hot Springs. How tough can it be, really? Sitting in a pool of spring water 39 degrees Centigrade (you can do the math, but mighty warm) on a cool evening looking at the Rockies capped with snow.

By this time, it was after 8 pm, so we picked up a Pizza and headed to Tunnel Mountain campsite. On the way, a family of 7 deer stopped traffic at the corner of Caribou and Otter. The park employee at the camp gate said we got the last place on the scenic ridge. I took a few pictures of alpen glow on the peaks before a family of deer walked through camp. At that point, Daisy had to come in. No barking in camp, you know.

I am so mellow. I keep thinking how grateful I am. Two weeks have passed, and more of this beautiful scenery is still ahead of me. I get to keep on going.

No comments: