Saturday, May 17, 2008

Nebraska

 
Posted by Picasa


Photo of the Sand Hills of Nebraska

Today was such a blustery day I thought I must still be in Kansas. Driving the RV through the Sand Hills felt much like a boat, and I kept turning the wheel to the right about 30 degrees to compensate for the crossing headwinds. Teregram swayed and rocked in the wind. Then we turned north directly into the headwind for an hour before stopping for the night in Valentine Kansas. There's a hike and bike trail, the Cowboy Trail, right on our nose, so Carl will be out tomorrow morning if the wind subsides even a little bit. He can go 18 miles on this section. The trail will eventually cross the entire state of Nebraska.

Driving through Kansas and Nebraska were similar. Very windy, winding and hilly. I do prefer the Kansas Flint Hills to the Sand Hills.

Yesterday Daisy blogged about our adventures in Kansas, but she probably did not mention that the scenery was exquisite, with limestone outcroppings on flint hills covered with tall prairie grass. Both states, Kansas and Nebraska, are wide open. It is easy to imagine being in a Calistoga Wagon, Day 55 of my cross country journey, plodding behind the oxen. Looks to me like there is still a whole lot of land out here.

Tomorrow we enter a scenic section of northwest Nebraska as we head into the Black Hills of South Dakota.

By the way, I noticed in my web albums that I can post the location of the photos, so a little trail map to follow me is starting to develop.

Morning after postscript: according to the weather last night, the gusts were 35-45 mph. Wow! This morning, all is calm and Carl is off on the bike while Daisy and I wake up watching the purple martins buzzing about their house and singing. Ahhhhh....

No comments: