Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fishing for king, tap dancing, and trails

Posted by Picasa


Finally, a blog about fishing. This is the place. Every stream has salmon trying to force their way back up to spawn. This year the king run is bad though. Everyone is analyzing what happened to the hatchlings from six years ago. The most popular theory is something happened in the ocean. It is more disappointing since the hatchling count was so strong that year.

I took some photos at Ship Creek for you anglerphyles.

After the fish viewing with Daisy, we went to the Saturday market, where we could have eaten countless reindeer dogs. Carl found a great biking jersey with a black bear silouetted against Denali on it. My favorite part, besides shopping the booths and spending my retirement dollars on junk, was watching the tap dancing ladies do the Iditarod Trail song. Enjoy the movies.

We spent the remainder of the day on the trails. The Tony Knowles coastal trail starts downtown on Knick Arm and extends 9 miles south along Turnagain Arm. Carl biked it. I found the hills too challenging. Daisy and I chose to walk. And guess what jumped up out of the bushes at us? A MOOSE. I was so surprised I jumped back and screamed. Daisy was too taken aback to bark. Wow. A real life moose one on one encounter. My first! It was a female or a youngster, no rack. It ambled up the trail for about a 1/2 mile before meeting joggers and bikers. They yielded, of course. Finally, it turned and went back into the bush. And of course, I did not have my camera.

I biked Chester Creek again, and Daisy got a walk there too. It was late in the day, and still a few people from the Midnight Sun Marathon were limping their way to the finish. Our RV is at mile 23 of the marathon, so it is an easy bike ride down to the finish at the Coastal Trail.

No comments: