Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Guys in Tuxes


There's nothing quite so handsome as young men 6 foot 5 and over wearing tuxes. The excitement of the groom in this photo is created by the sight of a drop dead gorgeous bride walking down the aisle toward him.

What I will remember most about this wedding are two things: getting to kiss the handsome groomsman who happens to be my godson,

and the groom's father's toast.

Posted by Picasa
I'll try to paraphrase:

Two things.

My parents have never been close to me. They moved to Wyoming, for heavens sake. But when I married your mother, I also got  her bazooka of a father and her fashionista mother. They took me in and treated me as one of their own. They never took sides in any of our issues. They lived three hours away, and we visited them often. I went because I wanted to. They are both gone now, and I miss them both terribly.

Your mom and I are 1100 miles away. But you have a new family now, living right here close to you. It is an incredible opportunity. Love them, cherish them, spend time with them.

Second thing. In your married life, there will be many happy occasions, many ups and downs. But for me, marriage is all about the extraordinary moments. My first extraordinary moment was in 1980 when you were born. It was then that I realized, this thing is bigger than the both of us. So too in your marriage, the time will come when you will stop and say, this is incredible. Look forward to those extraordinary moments.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Laura & I are looking at this. You are amazing, my dear friend, Margaret. I've been wishing that a videocam had been present; I didn't need to wish; I had you.

(Pssst, Margaret ... it's me, Laura.) Mary just stole all my good material. I have nothing to add, but she wanted me to say something. There you have it ... something. :)

Unknown said...

Good advice in that toast. Great pictures of wonderful, beautiful, happy people on a great day.