Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Puppy Cookie

I didn't have a clue how to start. "How do you do fur, Stanley?" Stanley Kowalski, who teaches my Learn to Draw Class, showed me how to do fur. Then he said that my puppy head was not big enough. "Check the dimensions first, then start with his nose." The puppy is almost done, but not quite there yet. The puppy's right side (your left) seems a bit harsh. I'll have to rub and smudge some more.
I am going to miss this class, so much! Stanley has the touch, the kindness, the helpfulness, the student focused-ness. Show and tell happens several times during class, when we all take our drawings down and he admires them while we admire each other's. He's feeding our souls as well as our art.

On the other hand, he has much to do to make up for my water color class, which has so far one thing going for it....cheap. I am making up in weekly supply purchases for the cheapness of the class. Last week it started thundering at the beginning of class. All the class and the teacher immediately packed up and went home. Since I can still drive in the rain and in the dark too, maybe I should develop more tolerance for others. If I ever have a water color to be proud of, I'll post it.

Meanwhile.....I think I will draw at least one more of the eight possibilities Stanley gave us before our next, and last, drawing class.

No comments: