Sunday, November 16, 2008

What's on your plate?


I am a newbie platelet donor. After 4 times this year donating whole blood, I finally read the sign. What the Blood Center really needs from the A+ people like me? Platelets. So I did it.

Why platelets? Cancer patients, those receiving organ or marrow transplants, victims of traumatic injuries, and patients undergoing open heart surgery require platelet transfusions to survive. Because platelets can be stored for only five days, the need for platelet donations is vast and continuous. Probably by now my platelets are already in somebody doing their clotting thing, and I don't even miss them.

I finally found something where being a big person is a good thing; I only have to spend 47 minutes on the machine to collect my platelets. And, here's the best part: no lack of energy while my red blood cells recover. And, the equipment is new and improved, so I only have one needle in my arm. Slick! The only part that is a bit troublesome is a feeling like your mouth is numb during the process. Here's the explanation:
Frequently while donating the lips may begin to tingle; a supply of calcium antacid tablets is usually kept close by because the anticoagulant works by binding to the calcium in the blood. Since calcium is used in the operation of the nervous system, nerve-ending-dense areas (such as the lips) are susceptible to the tingling. Usually chewing a handful of antacid tablets will raise calcium levels and relieve the tingling.

Some people are platelet donation junkies. You can donate about 24 times a year. The man next to me was selecting from the center's new movies since he had memorized all the old ones. Way to go, Mr. Donor Man.

No comments: